I originally got the Gpz in 2002 in a straight swop on e-bay for my Kawasaki Zr400b1. I rode it for about 5yrs as it was. I then decided to exchange the front and rear ends and streetfighter it some more so in 2007 the work began. First I removed the rear subframe to make it into a single seater. Then I removed the front end and had the stem out of the Gpz yoke swopped into the ZZR yoke. Once that was done the front end fitted without any hassle, The rear end was slightly different I had to have some to hats made due to the Gpz swingarm bolt being smaller than the ZZR one.
Once that was made I got to the task of fitting the Cbr600r shock and the Cbr/ZZR linkage and ZZR dogbones. The bike is running standard ZZR1100d1 brake callipers and discs. Once that was done the 190 tyre was fitted to the rear wheel . I then started to graft the Z1r rear plastics to the Gpz side panels using fibreglass kit and fine filler.
I sent off the clock faces to have flames airbrushed on them by my good friend Spudgun. Next was fibreglass a seat pan which kept with the lines of the original Gpz seat, then using the foam off a old z550 seat I had lying around trimmed the foam to fit and brought the seat cover off e-bay and my good friend covered it for me. I then brought an aftermarket Gpz fairing with twin cibe headlights and altered the frame to fit the Gpz1100 frame. The blue screen on the fairing was then sprayed black using tint spray. The wheels were painted next using Multi-purpose paint from Wilkinsons, the frame and footpeg hangers had a coat of hammerite hammered finish as well as the fork legs and the swingarm.
Once I was happy with all the bodypanels and how they fitted I set to filling in any dents and smoothing them off when ready a coat of Poundland matt black paint was applied. The engine also had a coating of matt black with a red rocker cover and red on the side engine casings to add abit of colour. Next was to fit the one off home made exhaust brought from a carboot for £30, which originally came off a harris framed z1000. Once all the bodywork was completed I fully assembled to what you see now. In total it has taken me four years on the build. Since the putting it all back together Streetfighters have been to do a photoshoot which was published in a special edition of the Magazine.
Hope u like my build keep it matt black n ratty….
Graham a.k.a Gpzfighter