It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting Wet in Scotland
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:34 am 
Senior Rat Biker
Senior Rat Biker

Back nearly a week now, 1st chance I've got to post this. Weather wasnt really with us for the most part & christ is it expensive, even without taking the exchange rate out of the equation!

We headed up to Larne & cought a ferry to Troone the next morning & headed Gourock to catch the ferry over to Dunoon up the A815 to Inveraray for a 2 night stop to try figure out how to pronounce the place properly LOL

Got wet on the run up North, bt some good grub in the Blue Chicargo Grill

Next morning we were the only 2 bikes on the Ferry, tink the rest knew something we didn't!

1st of many stops to dawn the rain gear, worst places to stop though

some sun & a crackin' spot to stop for a beer! It was closed!!!!

B&B Inverarary, I'd definitely recommend. Not the most modern, but good bike parking 2 minutes walk to the bar (well hotel, Scotland doesn't seem to do pubs like in Ireland! You'd die of thirst trying to find one out of the big towns/ cities) Bit of a panicked stop also on the way as Helen go a Bee in her lid

view of the town from the bell tower, E12/ 8stg for the 2 of us to climb to the top

relaxing in Invarary jail, E33/ 22stg & not worth the time, to put it into perspective, that was pretty much the same as when I visited Alcatraz (& theres a boat ride involved in that) & Kilmainham Jail only costs E8!

On the hunt for Fyne Ales Brewery, Nice spot & even nicer Beer!

Found it & proceeded to enjoy the Brewery’s bar & tour (tad drunk in pics, taxi back) E15/ 10stg & you get 2 half pints, can even take a beer with you on the tour!

Then off to Kilmartin, for a change it was all free (well there was a small museum you could pay into), small beautiful area with 200 separate Neolithic sites in the area

cool bit of farming equipment turned gate post

Helen decided against joining me @ the top (shes below on the bench)

We stopped in Oban for the night & a tour of the distillery, great tour, far better than Bushmills I reckon & the Distillery is slap bang in the center of the town. Have a nice 14year old I'm drinking right now!

After that we went to Fort William for lunch, great road but a disappointing destination. Then we heading down towards Glencoe, stopped @ the edge for the night. The Isle of Glencoe hotel, grand spot, overpriced, I'd recommend heading up the road to the Kings Head as its right in the middle of nowhere & looked interesting as we passed in the pissing rain!

No pics along the Glen as the weather was too bad & a lot of traffic, but worth the run, even in the rain the scenery was cracking & so were the roads!

Next stop, The Green Welly, good few bikes came & went & decent grub . Good spot to warm up

Another stop for water proofs on one of the most over-rated roads I have ever rode, the A82 Lock Lomond road. I've heard from lads in work & everywhere else to go this road, DON'T, theres better roads & surfaces in the country & better scenery as youcan't see much on the road, should have taken the A85 to Sterling instead

Stopped in Sterling for 2 night, very nice town & great history

Another Pyramid tomb (came across them near Kinnitty & a few other spots including another in Scotland, no pic)

Old Sterling Bridge, not the old, old one as that was wooden & somewhere (site not known) up the river

Didn't do the castle, we weren't spending E38ish on a tour as a lot of it was quite modern looking. But did go the Wallace monument, E30/ 20stg (if I remember right, maybe a little more)

Helen doesn't like heights & well it is quite high!

The sword!!! Impressive

Battle of Bannockburn field

Then came the Hailstones, yes Hailstones in july

while Helen too a nap I headed 8 miles up the road to the Deanston distillery, they were down for maintenance but still an interesting tour & a limited edition bottle aged in a Cherry cask for 10 years

then it was towards Cairnryan for the ferry. We got separated going onto the motorway heading opposite drections. All sorted & heading the right direction & came across the Whiskey Experience Shop in Kirkoswald where we picked up a 15year old Glengoyle (were ment to do the tour but ran out of time, its just north of Glasgow) the shop is well worth dropping into, great staff, great selection & the will give you tasters, even a few decent aged whiskeys, nt just the normal stuff.

Our final night was in Girvan, (the town that time forgot) if you are to do a similar route head out past the town to the Woodlands (you'll spot it easily), to avoid disappointment, like us, pre-book! We didnt & ended up in the Westcliffe, nice host, but theres nicer places & probably better priced!
Next morning, very wet we headed to the ferry & home .

All in, a good trip, expensive & wet but it was Helens 1st trip since she was diagnosed with MS & her 1st on the ZR & both went without a hitch. Our pace was slower than most probably would, but with Helen only back on the bike for pretty much the 1st time in 2 years & the MS making her extra tired it was pretty decent millage.

I'd go back but probably pre-plan a bit, for a change

Post subject: Re: Getting Wet in Scotland
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like you had a good trip mate. Some cracking pics there :D