Rat bikes, love them or hate them, they are just as valid as the latest mega-buck shop built custom bike. This particular rat/survival bike started life as an unloved Honda 650 Silverwing found lurking in somebody’s back garden by the original builder, a good mate of mine who goes by the name of Bully (he of bright woolly hat fame).
After getting the bike home, some head scratching and general wondering what he was going to do with it, out came the angle grinder and off dropped the rear end of the frame as it was on the rotten side of things.
Out came the original shagged 650 motor and in went a GL500 one but keeping the original 650 carbs, using the top hose off an old transit van as inlet manifolds. A radiator from an old CX500 was pressed into service with a few frame mods to make it fit.
The front rack was made out of a GPZ550 light and mounting bracket welded up to an old rack which just happened to be layering around his garage. All the wiring which normally sits in the headlight was conveniently hidden in an old margarine tub. Now that’s re-cycling. A set of one-off apehanger handlebars were constructed and toped off with a set of grips which started off life in a kiddie’s playground of all places.
The whole thing was finished off with a coat of florescent pink paint with yellow stripes. At least they couldn’t say “Sorry mate, didn’t see yer”
The bike was ridden around in this state over the winter months while I decided what to do next and the fact it was too cold and wet to go outside and do anything apart from basic checks. I’d never been totally happy with the overall look of the front part of the bike so a few more changes were in order. The original screen was replaced by a nose cone off a VT500 which came to me for free (thanks Gary). As I’d liked the look of those bikes with a high mounted front mudguard, I decided to cut mine down and fit a modified crosser one under the light.
Unfortunatly it was discoverd that the frame had more holes in it than a pair of old socks so a complete nun-running CX500 was bought for the grand price of £100
Both bikes were then stripped and the engine, front end and back wheel were fitted to the new frame. The 650 carbs were then modded to fit the new frame and a new tail made out of plate. To finish it off a set of headlights off a TDM were fitted and the whole lot given a grey cammo paint job
I soon got boared with this so it got a good dose of orange paint
A BIG thank you to Elaine (my long suffering wife) for buying me the bike, Bully for building it in the first place, sorting it out with an MOT before I picked it up and been an all-round top bloke