ratfighter, ratbikes I bought the bike initially because it was
A) cheap and
B) I needed a run around for getting to and from work. My partner found the bike on ebay very cheap and I laughed at first. It wasn't what I was looking for, not exactly pretty but it was dirt cheap so we bought it and picked it up. I planned to use it through summer and do something over winter with it. However I very soon found myself tearing the plastics away. I wasn't really sure what the plan was I just got on with it - I found a seat unit from a CB500 on ebay and again at 15quid it was hard to say no.

ratfighter, ratbikes
ratfighter, ratbikes

ratfighter, ratbikes

ratfighter, ratbikes

So soon the back end was torn off and a friend cut and welded a new sub-frame together from some 1/2 in square steel tube. whilst searching round forums a guy I got chatting with was messing around with the idea of a windowed clutch cover for his own bike and had made up this ring on his lathe but decided it wasn't working. he sent me the ring and lexan glass free and I punched a hole out of my standard cover, bit of instant gasket to seal it good and bolted it all up.

Next up the bars were clip-ons and had to go - I wanted flat bars.  Problem was the top yoke was constructed in such a way I couldn't simply bolt a set of risers on - I acquired a block of 10mill alloy again free, and simply cut the shape of the yoke with a grinder and sent the whole lot to a friend who tapped and drilled it all and bolted it up to the top yoke - ebay again I won some risers for 99p and these were bolted to the adapter plate I made, and the flat bars to those! jobs a good-un.  Rattle canned the whole lot in BBQ paint. I had some exhaust heat wrap left over from a previous project and this dulled the pipes down and also looks pretty cool too - I used some to black out the chrome on the forks and added some gaiters too - speedo from a Suzuki GS - I think, from my local breakers.

Next up wasn't happy overall with the seat unit - too long for the look of the bike - so I chopped it in half, bent the undertray up and bolted it all shut an aluminium drinks bottle replaced the expansion tank. A nail in the rear tyre forced a change and I found the knobbly style tyre again on ebay for about £40.I decided it needed a military theme and decided on a fighter plane/bomber theme - i masked the whole bike up and left thin lines to look like panelling and then added rivet details - stencilled in some stencils and the sharks mouth commonly found on fighter planes of WW1/2. then I sanded it all back in places to give it a distressed look.

The chain gun is actually some electrical components - a socket box and some cable tubing sprayed black with a cover made from steel. A couple of wires and air hose screwed here and there and some chain bullets going through it and then just bolted onto the side.The wheel discs I had seen on some bikes and loved, I got 4 barrel lids and measured up the wheels - cut them out and bolted them up to the wheels - it gives the bike a whole new look and feel in cross winds too, but actually not as bad as I thought. You sorta get used to them. - it raises a few eyebrows and draws people in when I park up which is all apart of the fun, it was fun to build, its fun to look at and its a blast to ride... the seat angle is a little steep but not as uncomfortable as it looks. I like to think its finished but as with every project it carries on evolving and little things get added here and there.

Dan



ratfighter, ratbikes
ratfighter, ratbikes